I have moved home to live with family - Can I leave my tenancy early? | Coapt Landlords & sales

I have moved home to live with family – Can I leave my tenancy early?

You are only able to exit your contract early if you find a replacement to take your place for the remainder of your tenancy. We are on hand to give you advice on where to advertise your room and guide you through the process once you have found a replacement. Please email admin@coapt.co.uk for further information and advice.

Will my rent be reduced?

The Government have not stipulated landlords are required, or expected, to provide rent free periods for their tenants. Unfortunately you are still required to pay your rent as per your contract.

Can my rent be delayed or can I have a payment holiday?

If you are having difficulty paying your rent your landlord may be flexible with payment dates or will agree a payment plan. Deferring payments may also be referred to as a ‘holiday’, however this would be on a case by case basis and you will need to provide evidence of a change to your circumstances.

My landlord can get a mortgage holiday – why should I have to pay my rent?

There has been a lot of confusion around mortgage holidays. A mortgage holiday means the homeowner can defer the payment, it does not remove their liability to make payment in full. It is likely a landlord would end up paying more in the long run as interest payments will be due on a higher amount for a longer period.

A landlord would need to apply for a mortgage holiday, and it is only accepted on a case by case basis. Terms from lenders vary and they may have to provide evidence that themselves or their tenants have suffered financial hardship due to Covid-19. If a landlord is granted a payment holiday, they are expected to pass this on to the tenants in terms of a payment plan.

Is there any financial help available to me?

This varies dependant on your situation, the government have implemented new measures to support people in their time of need. Check the government website here to see what you may be entitled to. If you are studying, contact student services at your University, as they may be able to offer you additional support.

I’m moving in to a new house in the summer, what happens if I can’t move in due to travel restrictions?

We are hopeful travel restrictions will be lifted and tenants will be able to move in as normal for new tenancies to commence over the summer months. The Coapt team are keeping a close eye on the situation and if tenancies need to be delayed we will speak to you ahead of moving in to organise any changes, rest assured if you are unable to move in due to government guidelines no rent is payable until possession can be granted.

My tenancy is coming to an end and I’ve already moved away, but have left belongings in the property that I cannot get.

As you can imagine, this is not a situation we’ve come across before! We will be in touch prior to your tenancy ending to confirm the moving out process. If belongings are still in the property please let us know so we can make arrangements with you and your housemates.

Find us on StuRents