I don’t know who my current utility supplier is?
To find out who your current utility suppliers are call 0870 6081524 for gas, 0845 6015467 for electricity and 0330 303 1263 for water.
What happens on the day we move in?
Before you move we’ll send you an email and text message confirming your check-in time. One of our welcome reps will meet you at the property to check you in – they’ll give you some important information, conduct a couple of important checks and explain the inventory. After this you’ll be given the keys to your new home! At least one tenant must be present at the appointment, and we advise arriving at the property 10 minutes early so that the appointment can begin on time.
What happens at a check-in?
One of our welcome reps will meet you at the property. They will explain the inventory process, cover some health and safety information, and well as other important information you need to know – like how to prevent mould, or what your refuse and recycling collection days are. You’ll sign to confirm you are happy to receive the inventory by email, confirm receipt of the keys and then it’s all yours – time to unpack!
What is an inventory?
An inventory is a document compiled the day before your tenancy starts. It is an itemised and photographic list of contents and conditions. It includes everything from, walls, flooring, fixtures and fittings to furniture and appliances.
There’s something missing on my inventory.
The inventory company we use are normally very accurate, however if you feel there is something not right, it’s important you let us know! If there is something missing on the inventory you have 7 days to make any amendments or comments. The inventory will be emailed to you and it will contain instructions on how to do this.
Are there any circumstances where I’m not allowed to move in?
If either you or any of your housemates have not completed the admin process or paid the first months rent and deposit, then unfortunately no one will be able to move in until this is received. In this instance you will still need to attend the check-in appointment, but we can’t release the keys until all funds and paperwork have been received.
Do we all have to attend the check-in appointment?
No – only one tenant needs to attend the check-in appointment. Although if you’re all eager to get in and put your feet up, you can all attend if you fancy. One person can sign on behalf of all tenants to confirm receipt of the inventory and your keys.
What if no one can attend the check-in appointment?
Only one person needs to be at the check-in appointment. If no one can make it, please call us on 01273 645797 as early as possible so we can re-arrange. Please note, we may have limited availability of alternative appointments so it is important you call (please don’t email) as we may not be able to move you in the same day.
What happens if I am late for my check-in appointment?
Please let us know as soon as you can if you are going to miss your appointment slot. We will try our best to be accommodating but as we are so busy at that time of year, the next available slot might not be for a day or two. You can’t move in until you’ve completed your check-in appointment, so it’s super important you get there in plenty of time.
I’ve moved in! Now what?
Meet your neighbours, find a home for your stuff and celebrate with your housemates. We hope you enjoy your new home and we’re really happy you’ve found where you belong. To help you settle in smoothly we’ve compiled a quick checklist below.
- Take meter readings and contact your utility providers (no need if you are bills-included!) Don’t know your supplier? Call 0870 6081524 for gas, 0845 6015467 for electricity and 0330 303 1263 for water.
- Contact Brighton & Hove City Council Full-time students are exempt from Council Tax during term time, in order to claim your discount you must register online. Or call the Council on 01273 291291 for further advice.
- Get a TV licence You need a TV licence if you watch or record live TV programmes on any channel, or if you watch or download programmes on BBC iPlayer http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk
- Set up Broadband, TV and Phone. If you’re interested in getting Virgin Media call 03333436674. By quoting ‘Coapt 72634’ you will receive the best student packages and offers. Other providers are available, obvs.
- Check your refuse and recycling collection days. Missing a refuse bin or recycling box? You can order one online and find out the collection days for your street by calling 01273 292929 or by visiting www.brighton-hove.gov.uk.
- Get contents insurance (no need if you are bills-included!) We strongly advise you to invest in your own contents insurance as the landlords insurance does not cover your personal belongings in the event of a fire, burglary or leak. It may seem like an extra cost when living on a tight budget, but ask yourself if you could really afford to replace your things in the event they were damaged or stolen.
- Contact your neighbours. We recommend you introduce yourselves to your neighbours and exchange telephone numbers. After all, you may need them when you’ve run out of milk! Please always be respectful of your local community and keep noise to a minimum. We love turning the volume up and dancing in our rooms as much as the next person, but be considerate – your neighbours may work nights, have young children napping, or be older people who feel vulnerable.
- Keep on top of your garden. Gardens grow surprisingly quickly, particularly in the summer months! We would advise you to keep on top of it now and maintain it throughout the year to avoid complaints and a large gardening charge at the end! If you need any advice about what you need to do to maintain your garden just get in touch.