GDPR and what it means for you as a Landlord
As you know the new GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) was introduced on the 25th May which affects the way in which personal data is captured, held and processed. For the property industry, this means tenants now have better control over their data how it’s stored and how it’s used.
Landlords holding tenants’ data are categorised as a ‘data controller’. This means landlords have a responsibility to handle tenants’ data in a lawful and appropriate manner and must comply with GDPR. Most of the ways in which you hold and process data will be covered under legitimate interest or contract, if anything falls out of these categories you will need to ensure it is covered under another legal basis such as consent.
We appreciate that GDPR can be confusing and difficult to understand, which is why we have come up with a quick 5 point check list for Landlords, to help pull apart the new regulations and make them easier to understand. This check list does not guarantee compliance, but it should mean that you are heading in the right direction, if you need further advice please get in touch.
- Make sure you understand the responsibilities of a data controller.
- Audit the data you hold. Only hold and process the data you require for the intended purpose.
- Explain to tenants how their data will be held, how long for, why you need it and who it will be shared with.
- Check data is stored securely, whether online or on paper.
- Make sure you have processes in place for a data access request, a data breach and deleting old data, within the correct time frames.
You’ll find a more detailed guide on our website here.
If you require any more information on this subject, please don’t hesitate to give us a call, we’ll be glad to help you make sure you’re abiding by the new regulations.
House hunting day!
5th March 2021
House hunting made easy! Come along on Wednesday 10th March to find our next home! Our house hunting events are…
Employee of the month February 2021
5th March 2021
Congratulations to Kayleigh for winning employee of the month this February! Kayleigh is a long standing, loyal and respected manager…
The power of technology
4th March 2021
Technology plays a huge part in our daily lives. Covid-19 has been an unexpected catalyst for everyone to turn to…